bora logo

Other Historic Landmarks

If you are planning a visit to the battlefield, don't miss these nearby historic landmarks:

VISIT

Visit the Historic Sites

There are four historic buildings located in the Battlefield Park area where much of the 1862 Battle of Richmond took place. What follows is a profile of each of these structures.

Battlefield Visitor's Center

Pleasant View

This brick, stately Federal style home on a high knoll was constructed around 1811 by Adam Rogers, and was his family’s home during the Battle of Richmond.  As well as the Rogers dwelling, it served as a roadside inn for many years.

Pleasant View  is a home in southeastern Madison County built by Joseph Barnett, a large landowner and Madison County magistrate, in approx. 1825.  The name, Pleasant View, comes from the name of a creek (aka Mound or Mount Branch) which runs thru the property, and also to the  beautiful, or pleasant, view the home has to the south.  

Palmer House

Mt. Zion Church

One of the key events in the 150-year-plus history of Mt. Zion Christian Church was its use as a Federal field hospital during the U.S. Civil War Battle of Richmond. Mt. Zion was used as the chief hospital for both Union and Confederate troops.

The William Butner-Thomas Palmer House is a brick, story and a half hall and parlor plan structure built prior to 1834.  The residence was used as a field hospital and landmark during the Battle of Richmond, Kentucky, on August 29 and 30, 1862.

© BORA 2012      101 Battlefield Memorial Highway     Richmond, KY 40475-8337     859.624.0013     battleofrichmond1862@yahoo.com

The Battle of Richmond Association is not responsible for scheduling the use of parks or recreation activities in Madison County, Richmond or Berea

Square

Madison County Courthouse

The Madison County Courthouse was designed by Col. Thomas Lewinski and built in 1848/1852 at a cost of $40,000. It is an excellent example of an antebellum public building in Kentucky.  Federal army medical director Dr. Bernard J.D. Irwin commandeered the courthouse (along with the Madison Female Institute) as hospitals in late August 1862.

Walking Trail